In the US and Canada, about one-third of the adult population is medically obese – many kilograms over the appropriate weight for their height. Based on present trends, everyone in the US will be obese by the year 2234. According to the World Health Organization, fatness is not just a Western issue, obesity is on the rise in Latin America, the Caribbean and parts of Asia.
Oriental medicine views unexplainable weight fluctuations as an imbalance affecting the digestive system, primarily the functioning of the stomach-spleen system. The stomach receives food and breaks it down while the spleen receives the broken-down food and transforms it into a nutritive substance that combines with air (oxygen) taken in from the lungs, thereby producing blood and Qi. The nutritive substance is then distributed to the rest of the body. An imbalance in the stomach-spleen system can result in both weight gain and weight loss. For instance, if the spleen and stomach are weak they may turn your food and fluid into fat instead of nutritive substances.
Acupuncture needles are inserted to the stomach and foot areas, where most of the points are related to stomach and spleen meridian. Points on both meridians can stimulates the metabolism and strengthen the digestive system. Ear Acupuncture will also be used to suppresses the patient’s appetite.
- Cut down on damp and phlegm-forming food
- Rich foods are sticky and difficult to digest and put a strain on the stomach and spleen
- g. dairy products, iced drinks, cold or chilled foods, sugar and sweeteners, fatty meat, fried foods, bananas, alcohol, etc.
- Avoid consuming large quantities of liquid if oedema is a problem
- Oedema is a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body
- Have a diet consisting of fresh vegetables (leafy greens and roots) eaten cooked and warm, fish, chicken, cooked tofu, whole grains, cereals, and legumes.
- Such a diet will help nurture the stomach and the spleen
- Avoid or lessen intake of spiced foods
- Do not cover your fresh and lightly steamed vegetables with heavy, creamy, cheesy sauces
- Eat three meals a day regularly; skipping meals weakens the spleen
- Start doing moderate exercise such as walking and swimming
MEISEIDO has been treating obesity with acupuncture for over 15 years. Many of our patients have lost 3 to 16 kg in 2 to 9 months. However, results are also dependent on the determination of the patients.